Friday, January 16, 2009

A Traumatic Experience

Today I learned a big lesson through a traumatic experience. 

A few months ago I learned my first lesson to no longer put Carter on our bed. He had become a little more mobile at that point (though not yet crawling) and I was afraid that he would roll off the bed. Well, even though I kept my eyes on him almost constantly, it only took one second of me turning my head for him to roll off landing flat on his back. That was horrible, but he was okay. He only cried for about a minute or two and it was more out of shock than actually being hurt. 

Well, today's incident added a whole new level to falling off the bed. I had been out running errands with Carter stopping by the church and then the grocery store before heading home. My usual routine is to take Carter up first and then come back down to get grocery's. So, like usual, I sat him down (well away from the door) with his sippy cup and snacks. He was occupied so I ran back down bringing up grocery's. I got them all up but then had some boxes of stuff I needed to bring up last. As I walked out of the apartment, I know I closed the door, but not all of the way. There was still enough of the door sticking out that Carter was able to grab the edge and pull it open. Can you see where my story is leading???

I'm at the bottom of the stairs holding my four boxes when I look up and see my precious little boy looking down at me from the top of the stairs, putting his little hand down trying to reach the next step. My heart suddenly stopped as I see my little boy falling head over heal down the stairwell (and if you know our stairs, you know they are very steep). I yelled "NO CARTER!!", dropped everything in my arms and sprinted up the stairs to grab him as fast as I could. 

I caught him when he was about half way down. He was of course crying and all I could do was hold him tight, rock back and forth, and tell him it was okay. I just sat there with him for about 2 minutes looking him over with my teary eyes to make sure he was okay. I took him inside and for the next 15 minutes all I could do was shakily tell him how sorry I was, that I would never let that happen again and thanking God that my baby was okay. 

The image of him toppling down keeps replaying in my mind over and over making me feel like a horrible mother. But I know that kids do get hurt and that as parents, you can not protect them all the time.....but I could have at least prevented this one. I feel so awful!! Of course Carter only cried for maybe 3 minutes or so and then was completely fine wanting to play. I think it was much worse for me than him. And now I know to always close the door all the way before going down the stairs. 

3 comments:

  1. oh lindz...that is so sad. i know that feeling. xander has been hurt several times and it does not get easier! I learned the hard way to teach Xander how to slide down the stairs now so he no longer tumbles...it is more like an intentional tumble now! ;) miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know as a mother exactly how you feel- but try and not to worry too much. God protects our children and us as well. He is so good!

    p.s. you are a great mom, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds so awful! so far nothing like that has happened to the little one i watch. but i am so deathly afraid (especially cause he's not my own child) so when i have to use the restroom i lock him in his high chair and he usually starts crying because he wants to scoot around. but i cannot imagine what i will have to come up with when he smart enough to open up doors or even the baby gate.

    ReplyDelete